Sunday, November 23, 2008

Our fast food


A quick simple easy-fast food-meal in our house is a big pot of chili. In my part of Texas chili is generally made with pinto beans, ground beef and tomatoes. I am not one to mess with a good thing. :)


Sams club-Pinto beans, and Crushed tomatoes. These are the huge cans and are 111 ounces! (use the crushed tomatoes-for some reason they are brighter in color that the whole tomatoes and make the chili look more homemade)


Ground Turkey-Sam's club-2 packages


5 stalks of celery-I chop mine VERY small in the food chopper


2 onions-again chopped VERY small in food chopper


3 tbs of Cumin


1 cup of chili powder


1/4 cup of garlic powder


salt and pepper to taste


Instructions:


Cook Turkey with salt and pepper, add chopped onions and celery last 5 minutes to soften.


Open cans of beans and crushed tomatoes, put into pot along with cooked turkey and veggies


I let mine simmer 1/2 hour


Add all seasonings and re-season last 10 minutes to taste


This makes a HUGE pot of chili. I freeze half and also use the next day for baked potatoes.


Super easy, super good!



1 comment:

ZM said...

mmm. I can never leave these things alone, and tend to chuck in a sweet potato and smoked paprika. (except when I do chili, I get to call it cholent!)

Love the big pot of dinner approach. Thanks for sharing.

But yikes - those chillies look alarmingly red...