Monday, June 23, 2008

Fried Chicken...please work!



Let me start by saying...fried chicken is really important to me. I know, I know, but I am southern-is that an excuse? I love to cook and I love to cook fried chicken.


When I could have wheat it was a big process. I would let my chicken sit overnight in a the flour mixture to get the crust just right. I took it very seriously.


So I was a little leery of cooking this chicken as I did not want to be disappointed. I used the Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Crispy Chicken Coating Mix. Note: Produced in a facility which uses Sesame Seeds, Soy, Eggs, and Tree Nuts.


I rinsed the chicken and put it directly into the coating mix. The coating seemed to cling nicely to the chicken as you can see below.


As I started to fry the chicken in canola oil I was a little sceptical as there seemed to be a lot of separation of the coating from the chicken. This might have been because there seems to be a lot of paprika in the mix but not sure. The oil was pretty gritty right off.

After 6 minutes the chicken got pretty dark, so I decided to take it out and finish baking it in the oven. I did not want burnt looking chicken! I did not mind the extra step as long as it tasted good. The above picture was the chicken after cooking for six minutes.

And the picture above is the finished product after baking in the oven. I was a little disappointed but I am thinking maybe if I used some type of egg wash first it might turn out better. The chicken was not crispy and the mix did not add any special flavor. It needed a little sea salt as well.
So my review for the mix is a 2 out of 5 * but I will give it another shot.

Note: I got lazy after having to do the two step cooking for the chicken and did not make my green beans. lol



































1 comment:

Nessa said...

You know how picky my kids can be about things being cooked differently but i finally found a way they really like to have chicken. I got it from Jessica Seinfeld's book. I roll chicken breast in a broccoli and egg mixture, then i combine flax seed meal with seasonings and i fry it that way in sunflower oil or even bake it. It's really good. I was shocked.